SailNet Community - View Single Post - So, how do I prepare for a 5 year cruise with kids?
View Single Post
Old 05-20-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Living aboard may not be such a good idea... many of the books on cruising I've read, and many of the cruisers I've met/written/spoken to suggest that living aboard is not a great way to start out... they suggest that it is easier to just jump in with both feet, once you've gotten enough experience on the boat you're going to be using.

Some say that this is especially true if you have children... as they may not appreciate the differences in the cruising lifestyle, like no high-speed internet, no satellite/cable tv... etc. and only see the downsides to what they are missing when you are living aboard...and this may turn the off on the idea of cruising.

If you go straight to cruising, rather than living aboard, they will be far to busy to realize that the high-speed internet and satellite TV are missing for the most part.

I would budget at least 20% of the purchase price of the boat for upgrades and refits to the boat, as even the most well-equipped boat is going to have some things that you will want to change or replace, and it will cost more than you expect if you haven't budgeted a chunk for it.

I'd also hold off on any major changes to the running rigging, deck layout, and controls on the boat until you've sailed it a while. Once you've had some time on the boat, you can figure out what works for you and what needs to be made to work for you better.

You might want to contact the s/v Makulu or read their website http://www.reachtheworld.org/ to see what else you might be able to do.

If you have questions, or comments, you can PM me.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook