SailNet Community - View Single Post - Very Good Vendor Thread
View Single Post
Old 07-02-2010
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
I have to give props to a couple of outfits after today.

Keeping in mind that we have a relatively rare marinized VW Rabbit diesel engine (a la "Pathfinder")

Heading out yesterday, after motoring in calm for about an hour I decided to check the stuffing box gland (recently repacked).. it was fine but there was 2 inches of water below the engine itself

Further investigation showed that the pressure cap had failed/released, and that I was pushing water out of the reservoir.. Thought about that for a bit and realized that I must have a hole in the heat exchanger and had essentially a RWC engine. Fortunately the flow was that direction and there was no overheating.

Stuck on an island now with only phone service, I called a couple of friends, one of whom found a company in Washington state that built these cores on a per-order basis, with normal delivery 3-5 days. "Great", I thought.. holiday weekend coming up, good luck with that..... phoned them up anyway and I'll be damned if they didn't build one today, the employee took it home with him to Bellingham (a 1 hour drive across the line for us). We managed to nurse it home, sailing when we could, and now we have a brand new one in hand to install tomorrow. No extra charges, no fedex/customs broker fees - and even Canada Customs let us through on the way home.

So - kudos to Doug at AAA Marine Parts of Tacoma WA, and Dan at Seakamp Engineering in Bellingham, who built and handed off this part in 8 hours!!!

AAA MARINE PARTS WHOLESALE Home Page

New Page 0 (Seakamp)

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)

Last edited by Faster; 07-02-2010 at 11:57 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook