SailNet Community - View Single Post - So, how do I prepare for a 5 year cruise with kids?
View Single Post
Old 05-20-2006
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
One of the constant themes I came across in my reading, was to forget about a boat, until it's time to go. Downsize your life now, and put as much money away as you possibly can. Get rid of any debt that you can, and basically live as frugally as if you were on a boat.

Whether that would be the right approach for you and your family, is up to you. It certainly has some logic to it. Basically though, the more money you can put away, the more options you have when it's time to go.

A good starting point would be Nigel Calders "The Cruising Handbook". It can give you a lot of insight into what you need, boatwise, as well as skills. There are many books about cruising, starting with Beth Lenords "The Voyagers Handbook". You might want to read as many different ones as you can find, so that you can go into this with as realistic approach as possible.

I think it's a great idea, and will be an education for your kids, that no school can give them.

Best wishes,

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Website & Blog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook