SailNet Community - View Single Post - Terminology question: Gybing
View Single Post
post #1 of Old 07-05-2010 Thread Starter
Senior Member
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 139
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 9
Terminology question: Gybing

So this past weekend with the boat on a broad reach starboard tack I wanted to put the boat on a broad reach port tack.

I (as skipper and helm) explained to my crew what I intended to do, saying I wanted to put us on a broad reach port tack, so let's gybe.

One crew member went...ballistic, saying I'm not using the term correctly, that gybing does not involve a course change, only bringing the boom over to the other side without changing course.

I said yes, that's an essential step for gybing (nudging the boom over while maintaining downwind run), but gybing can also mean changing course, that if we're on a broad reach what reason could we possibly have for putting the boom over without changing course (and sailing by the lee)? Therefore, logically, when on a broad reach the instruction is given to gybe, it can only mean we will steer to at least a run and to the other tack, thus changing course.

Your thoughts? This led to quite a distracting argument.

zAr is offline  
Quote Share with Facebook
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome