SailNet Community - View Single Post - electric motor
Thread: electric motor
View Single Post
Old 07-05-2010

eMKay is on a distinguished road
What is the capacity of your bank now? That motor is designed to draw 400 amps peak, and 150 amps continuously at 48 volts. It can run on up to 72 volts though. The generator can extend the range but not very much if you are trying to run at hull speed. An off the shelf controller is available to run it up to 250 amps with a regeneration feature that can put back up to 4 amps into the batteries. If you are daysailing this can recharge the current you used to get out of your marina while sailing. I am planning a similar system for my boat with a targeted range of 20 miles, and a small generator to help with recharging if I need to run up to max range. You must plan your battery banks capacity to be double your targeted range, if you continuously run down below 50% charge you will destroy the batteries quickly.

As for the weight, remember the average diesel engine weighs 200 to 500 lbs (my tiny 8hp Renault weighs 200lbs) while the Mars ETEK (Briggs doesn't make it anymore) weighs 24lbs.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Technician, RCR Yachts Buffalo.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook