SailNet Community - View Single Post - Terminology question: Gybing
View Single Post
post #11 of Old 07-05-2010
Senior Member
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 2,452
Thanks: 0
Thanked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Rep Power: 11
Broad reach to broad reach is most definitely a course change. There's no question.

There are two ways of going from one broad reach to another...the easiest in most situations is to gybe, the other is to head up and tack and then fall off to a broad reach on the other tack.

You explained your intent. Your crew member was way out of line. Going ballistic??? He'd never step foot on my boat again :-)

I would love to see this character try to bring the boom over to starboard while broad reaching in 15 knots...without changing ain't going to happen.

So, while on a broad reach the command is " prepare to gybe" The helmsman then begins to turn downwind to a run while he or the crew member centers the boom. Once the boom is centered you pass the stern through the wind ( gybe-ho ) and quickly let the boom out on the new tack. The jib comes over ( with crew assist) and you're off on your new course... of course, the stronger the wind the trickier the maneuver.

Maybe your crew member doesn't know the difference between a broad reach and a run. In either case...your boat, your rules.

Last edited by tempest; 07-05-2010 at 05:48 PM.
tempest is offline  
Quote Share with Facebook
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome