SailNet Community - View Single Post - So, how do I prepare for a 5 year cruise with kids?
View Single Post
Old 05-21-2006

Jim H is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyh
My Father, God bless his sole worked till he was 62….yes he retired a few years early…but died 2 yrs later….no he did not go fish all those trout and steelhead rivers he always dreamed of while working…..cut the land lines and GO…and Go NOW.
The more we think about it, the more we're haunted by the mistake of waiting too long. We've lost some people in just the last year from our lives who never got the chance to do the things they longed for, and that makes us wonder if the whole set-up of the "American Life" is more limiting that enlightening.

As a friend put it to me: every year we spend money, sometimes a lot, sometimes a little. Every year we spend our lives, as well. Which is more valuable?

We've already toyed with departing 15 years from now, 9 years from now, 4 years from now, and 1 year from now. Guess which is the scariest in terms of the long-range value of 401ks, college accounts, health care, etc. After thinking about them, however, and reading Latitude 38's reports about low-cost cruising in Mexico, low-cost health care out of the US, and other options, we're beginning to wonder if a fair percentage of the many of the "barriers" are exaggerated and facades. The patented American "exaggerated response" can expensive in many ways.

In some ways it would be easier to go the "go small, go now" approach if we didn't have kids. I mean, not even Larry and Lin had that challenge. If nothing else, though, the rewards may be greater.

Thanks for the thoughtful response-- and I wish you the best with your cruising!

Jim H
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook