SailNet Community - View Single Post - So, how do I prepare for a 5 year cruise with kids?
View Single Post
Old 05-21-2006

Jim H is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog
Hal Roth's book is a good one to read too. Might want to pick up a copy of the Complete Sailor as something for your kids to read...it is very well written and easily understandable, and covers much of the basics of sailing technique and theory.
Good recommendations-- I've read both of Hal Roth's books, and we've had the Complete Sailor out of the library. My son has also ready a "Young Sailors" book that he really liked. We've also joined reading all of Herb Payson's books (although I'm envious that Pacific Seacraft simply gave him a 34 on long-term loan to voyage on...).

At the start of Hal Roth's book, my favorite section was simply the double-page picture of Tanya Aebi on her Contessa 26, finishing her solo circumnavigation. In the detailed caption of the photo, Hal reviews all the equipment in plain view (wind vane, sea cloths, solar panels, her wet weather gear, etc.) and noted that all those things were standards for ocean voyagers even though 30 years had passed since the photo was taken.

The book that got us back into sailing a year and half ago was a $1 copy of Maiden Voyage by Tania Aebi from a used book sale. From the book, it was clear that she wasn't the happiest camper when the photo was taken that Hal used, but it was clear that she knew what she was doing at a very young age.

Jim H
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook