SailNet Community - View Single Post - Any reviews of Don Guillette's "Sail Trim Chart" or "Sail Trim User's Guide"?
View Single Post
Old 07-06-2010

0verdrive is on a distinguished road
Any reviews of Don Guillette's "Sail Trim Chart" or "Sail Trim User's Guide"?

I'm a beginner sailor, having started lake sailing last summer in the midwest US. Last summer, I read (and have re-read several times) "The Complete Sailor," which was a tremendous help. Now that I'm starting my second summer, I've been looking for more books to continue to improve my sailing skills. I recently came across some posts that pointed to Don Guillette's sail trim chart, and am curious if anyone else has read them. The promo material for the chart claims that the laminated pages are helpful enough that you'll always want them at the helm. And the User's guide apparently has all the same information, but with explanations for each sail trim.

Both tools sound like they could be quite useful, but I can't find online samples of either. I'm not trying to pirate the book or chart, but if I could read a paragraph of the book, or see 1/4 page of the chart, it would help me decide whether these guides are well-suited for someone of my novice status. In the grand scheme of things, $40 for the combined materials isn't going to break the bank. But given the amount I've already put into the boat to ready it for the summer, I'm hesitant to throw it down the drain if for some reason it doesn't apply well to my needs (too advanced, or intended for ocean sailing, vs the lake sailing I do, etc.)

Has anyone here read these? Would you recommend them?

It's also been recommended that instead of this book and chart, I'd be better off making my next book "The Annapolis Book of Seamanship." Thoughts?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook