SailNet Community - View Single Post - Teak trim plugs and varnish
View Single Post
Old 05-21-2006
Someday...

ilnadi is on a distinguished road
Teak trim plugs and varnish

I finally removed all the trim around the hatchboards and have them at home so I can clean and re-finish. On my boat, all the trim was screwed from the front and all the screw holes had plugs in them. I want to varnish the trim pieces in the comfort (and shade) of my garage but here is the question: how do I varnish the plugs?
  • Normal way I know to get perfectly flush plugs it to use a flush-cutting saw after you glue the plugs in but that requires varnishing after you glue the plugs in, which I obviously cannot do in my garage.
  • If I varnish the wood before I assemble it onto the boat and then make little varnished plugs, it is almost guaranteed that some (if not all) will not be flush.
  • If I varnish the trim at home and glue/cut/varnish the plugs at the boat, a.The saw will most likely scrape the varnish on the trim b. the plugs will look different than the trim
At this point I am looking at cleaning/sanding at home and varnishing in place after I glue the plugs in but I'd rather varnish at home so I am hoping I missed something. Any help is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook