SailNet Community - View Single Post - Buddy boats for a Cape May trip?
View Single Post
Old 07-07-2010

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Denise,

You certainly have enough experience from your Chesapeake trips to do this on your own if you want.

We have done this trip many times and are doing it again on July 24. The trick is to play the tides as Gershel said. Once you reach the Nuke plant just follow the charts in the depth areas you can travel in. It is not necessary to go from bouy to channel bouy at all and this will help you cut many miles off of the trip. Play the inside angles except stay in the channnel at "Cross Ledge". If you follow the advice you can get to the wide part of the Delaware Bay where the incomming current isnt as strong when running against you. Unfortunately you will face it some of your trip if your destination is Cape May. Make the most of the outgoing tide heading down by starting 2 hours before the turn of tides.

If your mast is under 54 feet you can take the Cape may canal and save 2 hours or so. Stay at Utsches. They are old friends of mine and my family. They have a trolley which you can use to go in town or walk its not that far.

If you want more info or need to talk about some of the parts of the trip feel free to PM me.

Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook