SailNet Community - View Single Post - First Time Buyer Frustration....
View Single Post
Old 07-07-2010

Canadaler is on a distinguished road
First Time Buyer Frustration....

Is it just me...or is getting information out of brokers like pulling teeth?

I've been searching (mostly on Yachtworld) for possible boats and have e-mailed several brokers about their listings. Typically I've been asking if they can tell me the general condition of the boat, hours on the engine, electronics and sail inventories (if they haven't been listed), whether there is a current survey available...

A few people have been really good, sending me additional information and being very helpful. I must say though that they seem to be in the minority.

The most typical response I've got has been for them to send me a link to the listing I'm asking questions about... ...then telling me if I want more information to hire a surveyor.

The worst (IMO) guy responded by saying "if you're interested please submit an offer, subject to survey."

Am I nuts to think brokers should be more willing and able to share information? If I was paying someone a % to sell my boat I think I'd expect them to do a bit more.

I suppose the issue is that I'm looking to buy a relatively inexpensive "entry level" boat and the effort they feel like expending on me is proportional to their commission...which isn't going to be much compared to other boats they have listed!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook