SailNet Community - View Single Post - Beating To Windward?
View Single Post
Old 07-07-2010
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
In anything other than a dead calm we'd also rather take twice as long under sail than motor. If push comes to shove we'll motor sail. Anything to avoid the slop.

I don't find sailing to windward all that stressful provided the winds are reasonable and one is not overcanvassed. Sure sea state and tide can make it ugly at times but in the main tide is not a big issue for us. Off Sydney we do get a reasonable swell running at times which can make it a tad uncomfortable depending on heading. I'll happily ease of a few points if it means a bit less banging and crashing.

Don't know about the rest of you but we also tend to avoid ddw, preferring a very broad reach leaving the headsail full and lessening the risk of a gybe.

In relatively calm seas the only thing wrong with close hauled is trying to prepare meals if on more than a day sail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
We do see people motoring simply because the destination is upwind.. and it's always made me wonder why. Last year this time we were on a club outing going to a cove some 20 miles to weather. We headed out with a reef, got a few miles off the beach and settled into a wonderful sail, soon shaking the reef out. Several other boats that shared the same marina the night before motored the same trip - got there before us but complained how choppy and uncomfortable it'd been. We've been giving them a hard time since.

We learned to sail in an area at the head of one of our typical coastal fiords.. with diurnal winds regularly into 20 knot inflows in the afternoons, we soon learned how to get to weather - it was the only way to get anywhere from there. To this day my wife feels as the OP does... she would rather beat in 25 knots than run in 10....

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook