SailNet Community - View Single Post - Reefing and Heaving to.
View Single Post
Old 07-08-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I'd point out that the Storm Tactics book really isn't designed for modern sailboats...it wasn't really written with high-aspect bulb keel boats in mind. It also wasn't written with multihulls in mind. While the book, updated last in 2008 for the 3rd edition, is a great resource...saying it is for modern sailboats is not quite right.

I'd point out that much of the information in the book does apply, to a degree, to modern sailboats, a lot of it isn't all that useful. For instance, the "slick" that is created when heaving-to doesn't really happen with a high aspect bulb keeled boat. This makes heaving-to a slightly less useful storm tactic for a modern high-aspect keel boat in storm conditions. This isnt' to say that heaving-to doesn't work on a modern design, but it does lose a lot of its value as a storm survival tactic IMHO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by casioqv View Post
I highly recommend this book on heaving to in modern sailboats:

Storm Tactics Handbook: Modern Methods of Heaving-To for Survival in Extreme Conditions
by Lin Pardey, Larry Pardey

I've found that with a 110 jib on my C22, the backwinded jib overpowers the main, and pushes the bow too far off the wind for proper 45-50 degree angle from the wind. My C22 will heave to better under the main alone, but I don't have a small 90% jib as you do.

It seems like fore-reaching becomes a problem when winds are too strong. If the C22 is fore-reaching, perhaps get a deeper reef installed in your mainsail, and a smaller jib (or no jib).

A parachute sea anchor rigged with a pendant line will also prevent the boat from fore-reaching, and make it possible to heave-to under bare poles for severe weather:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook