SailNet Community - View Single Post - Throttle Cable
Thread: Throttle Cable
View Single Post
Old 07-08-2010
Pearson 303

SVCarolena is on a distinguished road
This is a very very common problem with the Yanmars in our P303s, as well as other boats. There are two things you can do. First, make sure the friction device on the cable is adjusted properly. I believe there is an adjustment in the pedistal. Just remove the compass and it should be easy to find (it is a set screw on the shaft to the throttle handle). Some owners will add an aftermarket friction device to the cable near the engine. Check for that, as well. However, if you get it too tight, you will have trouble moving the throttle. My fix, and I've seen others do the same, is to tie a bit of shock/bungie cord in a loop around the pedistal guard near the throttle, then slide it over the handle when you are using the engine. Ours only moves back at around 1500 RPM or more, so I pop it over the handle when we are underway, and take it off the handle when we get to our destination (it always remains tied to the pedistal guard). Let me know if you want a picture. I've even heard of people having to do this on relatively new charter boats.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook