SailNet Community - View Single Post - Depths of inlets
View Single Post
Old 07-08-2010

pdqaltair is on a distinguished road
In fact, I wrote a guidebook to the Delmarva coast, with the goal and intention of keep the information on these inlets reasonably current buy printing on-demand and revising every few months (see blog). It's chalenging to nearly impossible--they move all of the time.

* Call the local Coast Guard station on the non-emergency number (you can get the phone numbers from the internet). They will know if the markers are on station and the controling depth.
* Local marinas can be a good information sorce, but since they want your business, I have found they are VERY optimistic. I mis-trust local knowledge if the person giving the information might have a business interest. Cynical, but that has been my expereince.
* Slack high-tide is best.
* On shore conditions are very bad. Not only is it rougher, but if you ground you are instantly in trouble. Seabreeze conditions are not so bad, because they are of limited range and generally do not pack big waves.

One of the best costal sailing preparations, IMHO, is to have a list of all of the Coast Guard station phone numbers for the area sailed. I have used those numbers several times for non-emergency concerns and they have always been helpful. However, some of the smaller braches only do law enforcement and SAR and do not maintain channels; you will need to get that information from the group HQs.

For a typical cruising monohull, between Cape Charles VA and Lewis DE, only Ocean City and Chincoteague make any sense.

"Well, I just climb up to them."

by Joe Brown, English rock climber

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by pdqaltair; 07-08-2010 at 11:05 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook