Crossing Georgia Strait in T22
I have a Tanzer 22, nice little boat, in very good shape, stable and reliable. She is moored on Gabriola Island. I would like to make use of the great weather and take her over to Vancouver.
I am not a total novice but have never crossed the Georgia Strait (except on the ferry). So far I have mainly sailed in protected waters, and I'm wondering if the crossing is safe enough on a T22 and what you'd recommend as the upper limit to go.
Now the forecast announces NW 5 to 15 knots increasing to 15 to 25 in the afternoon. Same forecast pretty much for every day, and I am wondering whether the chance of hitting those 15 to 25 knot winds might make it a bit unsafe in this relatively small boat and if we should wait a little for more stable winds. I've heard the Strait can be pretty rough at times. Or am I too careful?
Any suggestions/comments from more experienced sailors in the Georgia Strait are welcome.