SailNet Community - View Single Post - Galley Sole Replacement
View Single Post
Old 07-10-2010
Handsome devil

Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough
Thanks for all the kind words guys.

Well I finally made it past the building supply center and picked up the adhesive I wanted to use it was even on sale..3.49 + tax...some of you may wonder at my choice and why not go with a marine product...My answer is simple...The construction industry has been around as long as the boat industry and their R&D is just as stringent.

This is not a below water line or topside application..their is absolutely no reason to pay high dollars for a marine sealant here...Sub-floor adhesive or what I chose will do just fine.

FWIW...I pealed off some 30 year old sub-floor adhesive off my glue gun and it is still pliable and tough to break.

Hopefully I am starting to convince some of you with this how to...that this is a doable project for you and doesn't need to take hours and hours to do...A table saw and a few clamps ( you can rent them) is really the only required tools you will need for this, and that can be the 200.00 bench top model as well.

My choice to use my own lumber necessitated the planner but buying dimensional lumber removes that requirement... I also just ran wild the boards off the sub-base and will trim with a router after sanding, this is my lazy and fast way of doing it but you could just as well cut everything perfect to fit as you go.

Believe me it has taken longer to put together and edit these video's then this project has taken.

Up next sanding, trimming and and finish.

Relationships are everything to me..everything else in life are just tools to enhance them.

The purchase price of a boat is just the admittance fee to the dance...you still have to spend money on the girl...so court one with something going for her with pleasing and desirable character traits others desire as well... or you could find yourself in a disillusioned relationship contemplating an expensive divorce.

Last edited by Stillraining; 07-10-2010 at 10:14 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook