SailNet Community - View Single Post - Boat recommendations? (C&C 110, Tartan 37, Sabre 36-2)
View Single Post
Old 07-10-2010

StephenMaturin is on a distinguished road
Boat recommendations? (C&C 110, Tartan 37, Sabre 36-2)

I am looking for my next boat. I'm coming off of an old Ericson 23 that has taught me the value of standing head-room, but has been a great little boat for the past few years. I will be sailing primarily in the south Puget Sound, so I'm interested in good light air performance. The boat can draw all she wants, as deep water abounds here (compared to Florida anyway). I've become slightly addicted to the club race, so performance is a big motivator for me, but a quality, well thought-out build is far more important to me than a few seconds on the race course. I don't need blue-water construction as I won't be sailing to HI, but I might do a little coastal cruising. I'd also like to find a boat with a decent following that would retain a good resale value. I like classic lines, but find that they are unfortunately usually inversely proportional to performance. I'd like to stay under 120K and I'd rather have an older great boat than a newer boat of lesser quality. I am not attracted to Catalinas, Hunters, Beneteaus, or Jenneaus.

The suspects I've rounded up include:
Tartan 37 (seems a bit slow)
Sabre 36 (not the 36-2, which is out of my price range)
Bristol 35.5 (too heavy?)
C&C 110 (exceeds the budget, but sure looks pretty and fast)
Express 37 (The one I checked out looked pretty tired and I suspect has some delamination issues)
J 35c (Hard to find one that isn't all beat up)
J/109 (hard to come by and pricey)
J/32, J/34 (seem too slow to warrant their spartan interiors)

I would appreciate any feedback on the above boats and welcome any suggestions for others.

Thank you in advance for your help.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook