SailNet Community - View Single Post - J-30 Questions....opinions?
View Single Post
Old 08-07-2001

VIEXILE is on a distinguished road
J-30 Questions....opinions?

You''re undoubtedly right, but my biggest concern was finding out where the problems lie. My experience is in heavy cruisers, solid glass hulls, etc. I hadn''t considered a cored hull, dammit. What about the J-27''s, 28''s, 29''s 35''s, etc. ? What''s the best (or a good) cross-over between racing (CRS ratings, remember - no PHRF down here anymore) and weekending (not necessarily a J-boat)? I''m talking a "tent" rather than a cruising layout. I''d only buy this thing if I could steal it and it was moderately and safely usable now. It''d be used in the Heinekens ''round here and Rolex. Winning is NOT the goal, but would be nice. Engine rebuilds I can do blindfolded - in my old boat, I might as well have been. I have someone, who must remain nameless, from New England who''ll come down on my ticket and help whip this thing into shape hardware and racing hull-wise. The potential hull problem, though, was the answer I was looking for. The rest of it goes without saying as far as sails, running and standing rigging go. If the hull and deck are close to solid and the keel bolts are something that are either in good shape or reasonably replaceable, I might take a cheap shot at this thing. Otherwise, it''s VERY expensive to get a boat here from the real world, and I don''t plan to do it. ($7,500 for the "sinking boat" out of Florida; $4,000 on deck; PLUS haul, launch and transport in between). Believe me. I''ve checked out every shipping option and delivery possibility, and don''t have the time to do it myself.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook