SailNet Community - View Single Post - Boat recommendations? (C&C 110, Tartan 37, Sabre 36-2)
View Single Post
Old 07-11-2010

StephenMaturin is on a distinguished road
you guys are great

Thanks for all the feedback. Sailors are a great lot and I appreciate your help.

As noted above, yes, I am torn by the perennial question of cruiser vs. racer. On the one side, it'd be nice to have all the amenities of a fat, slow, microwaved, air-conditioned, arse-wiping cruiser... but on the other hand, I've been sailing my little E23 without any electronics for 2 years and have had a damn good time of it. But then again, I'd like to be able to sail the San Juan islands with a real head and galley (and some frigging standing head room), and sure, it'd be nice to have a depth sounder. In theory, a J35 or Express 37 would fit the bill, but the ones I've seen in the area just didn't sit right with me (if you need details, PM me). Hard to explain, but it is what it is . As for the Farr, I've heard there have been issues with quality. Conjecture, to be sure. I'd appreciate any owner comments on this.

What about the "owner cost" calculation? If you can get a J/109 for a decent price (relative, of course) and sell her in 5-10 years for a slight depreciation vs. an 80's J35ish type boat (Peterson/Express/Thompson) with a theoretically larger depreciation with higher upkeep costs, which is the right move? Somebody should invent a calculator for this and make a mint on some sailing website.

From what I've read, the J/109 is the holy grail of the racer/cruiser... at least from what the virtual world of online sailboat obsession has told me. Has anyone actually been on one of these beasts?

Continued thanks...
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook