SailNet Community - View Single Post - So, how do I prepare for a 5 year cruise with kids?
View Single Post
Old 05-23-2006

Jim H is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBzeer
The one statement though that you want to wait a year and get more experience before crewing, isn't necessary. Take every opportunity you can. You'll get more experience in a day or two of crewing, be it racing or crusing, than you'll get on your own. Don't be afraid of making mistakes, or looking dumb, just be honest with the skipper, and I don't doubt it will be rewarding for both parties. As with any endeavour, the key is learning the "tricks", that make things easier.
Geez-- basically you're saying that I have to overcome all my self-doubts and shyness to gain knowledge and experience. You're right, of course, and later this summer I will put my name on the list to crew with the Cal 20 racing fleet for experience-- I still like small boats for new challenges (like handling a spinnaker for the first time).

There's something perverse about sailing. I personally find it both exhilerating and a harsh mistress. Some sailes are perfect, and other days I'm bugged for days by how hard the docking was because of current. "Did I scratch the topsides?"

I'm not certain why we should enjoy something that's so demanding, mentally and physically, and that's if you're doing it "right." I guess it's one of those nothing ventured, nothing gained sort of things, but I wonder if I'll ever live in a comfort zone again. Are we not supposed to?

Thanks again for your responses-- these are all fun and challenging things to think about.

Jim H
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook