SailNet Community - View Single Post - replacing universal atomic in '82 O'day
View Single Post
Old 07-11-2010

dickybrewer5 is on a distinguished road
Thanks so much for the reply. I guess quite a few of the A-4 motors were gas, but the fuel cap says diesel only and the owners manual says it is a "Universal model 5432, Atomic 32 HP diesel 4 cylinder". I found a place in Wisconsin that sells re-manufactured motors - the guy says he has one with the same footprint and the cost is $4500, with a discount if I bring the core. When I told him I planned to remove the motor piece by piece and install the new motor that way, he told me that would be a bad idea - upon thinking about it I realize he is right - should not be removing the head from a good new motor (re-manufactured) that has already been tested. In any case I appreciate your reply and I'm considering all options. I wonder what O'day's replacement plan was and how an intact motor could possibly go in there? I will look into the idea of rebuilding it, it was a great motor until it seized while I was motoring. I don't know whats wrong with it yet, but pulling it out piece by piece would tell me that. The motor had plenty of oil, cooling water was working normally, all seemed fine while I was motoring but when it seized it sounded ugly. Thanks again for your reply, happy sailing, Rick
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook