SailNet Community - View Single Post - Had to happen. Duc, overturned Phila PA
View Single Post
Old 07-11-2010
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough
I took the Duck Tour last October with my son's 7th grade class. They go along the Philadelphia side of the river, right in the shipping lane. I know the investigation is pending, but from the snippets I've heard, there are a couple of questions:
  • Why didn't the captain have everyone put on life vests immediately when the engine went down, instead of waiting until a collision was imminent?
  • Why did he just radio for another Duck Boat to come get them? It seems a police boat or USCG would have gotten there much faster, and could have towed them out of the channel. They certainly got there quickly once people were in the water.

It sounds like the engine overheating might have been caused by nothing more than a loose or defective radiator cap. I once had a minivan overheat for the same reason. Cost only $10 to fix.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook