SailNet Community - View Single Post - Propane on stern rail - doing it right.
View Single Post
Old 07-12-2010
1977 CS27 ~ Ravat

cghubbell is on a distinguished road
Propane on stern rail - doing it right.

After much deliberation I have given up on building a propane locker in my CS27. It would take up too much locker space that I need for other purposes. With that in mind, I need to improve my "tank on the stern rail" configuration.

At the moment, I have a rubber gas lin which exits my fiberglass cockpit coaming at the stern with a lovely GOB of 5200. It looks awful and over the years has cracked, and no doubt leaks.

Most of what I can find on-line for gas standards applies to propane lockers, and doesn't apply to stern rail configurations. I'd like to make sure everyhing is as safe and well thought out as possible. With that in mind I have a few questions I'd appreciate hearing "best practices" on...

- What is the right way to have a flexible gas hose exit the fiberglass (to reach the external tank) and be protected from chafe? I've seen lots of wire "glands", but it seems like they would (1) be too small for a gas line, and (2) I don't want to compress the line, do I? Those glands are water tight by compression.

- Is there any special type of hose or fittings or treatment I need to consider for the gas line as it is exposed to the elements vs. always being protected in a locker? My current hose is showing some signs of UV damage (drying out), although minimal. Note that I am in fresh water, although future brief salt water is a dream.

- I'm assuming I don't need to use a electronic gas relay / valve with the tank on the rail since I just use the manual valve for on/off. Is this right?

- Any other "gas on the rail" best practices you can share would be appreciated. I'm ripping it out now and will be replacing it soon, so all design recommendations are appreciated.

Thank you in advance,
Chris
CS27 #1254 ~ Ravat
PYC, Lake Ontario

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by cghubbell; 07-12-2010 at 09:24 AM. Reason: Spelling corrections
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook