SailNet Community - View Single Post - Propane on stern rail - doing it right.
View Single Post
Old 07-12-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
JRP—

Leaving the burner lit when closing the valve on the tank or the solenoid will allow the stove to burn off most, if not all, of the propane that is in the line.

I agree that having a solenoid is a best practice, but don't believe it is a requirement.

I don't think that's a very clean looking installation. The tanks are far more likely to get exposed to salt water there and the regulator is hanging by the hose by the looks of it. Of course, if you're going to do an installation similar to that, you're really best off using COMPOSITE tanks rather than aluminum or steel tanks.

Also, I don't know if having the tanks mounted where they can bet hit by the rudder is such great idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRPollard View Post
The vapor-tight compression fitting that SD showed is definitely the way to go. By the way, they are VERY easy to install, so no worries in that respect.

I would still advocate for a remote solenoid shut-off. In fact, I'm not sure if ABYC makes any distinction as to where the tank is mounted -- I think the remote switch is required regardless for any propane installation. If so, you should follow the requirement as it can affect insurability of the vessel, and it's the best practice anyway.

As an aside, I don't believe closing the propane valve (whether at the tank or solenoid) while continuing to operate the appliance "empties" the line of propane. I think this simply stops the flow of propane and extinguishes the appliance. If new propane is not entering the hose from the supply end, a vacuum is created and the flow simply stops.

But there isn't enough volume of propane in the line to worry about anyway. The worry comes from not closing off the supply. Which is why the remote shut-off is so important.

Make sure your hose is continuous all the way from the tank/solenoid to the appliance. No splices or extensions.

As for mounting your tank to the stern rail, you might consider an arrangement that looks a bit cleaner. These folks mounted two small tanks in brackets to the transom:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook