SailNet Community - View Single Post - from dreaming the dream to chasing the dream
View Single Post
Old 07-12-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by quient3 View Post
I have been lurking around this forum for a little while, sort of leery of posting or starting a thread for various reasons, but the time has come and here I go:

In the summer of 2002, my husband, me & our then 8yr old son, helped a guy sail a 35ft sailboat from Georgetown Exumas to Nassau Bahamas. It was one of the best 2 weeks of our lives!! Ever since then we have dreamed about the sailing life. Our son is going to start college this fall, and we want to start chasing that dream instead of just dreaming that dream. We've heard of and followed a lot of stories about people with not much experience doing this and actually pulling it off. We used to own a 16ft. hobie cat, so we know the very basics of sailing. Plus the 2 weeks in the Bahamas.
I am an RN and would like to get a job in the Miami area. Then we want to buy a boat, live aboard, and sail the coast of Florida and over to the Bahamas. I figure I can work part of the year and sail part of the year. What are the costs of living aboard in a slip in this area? What about mooring? Can you do that for free? Is there anyone out there that is in my line of work that lives aboard and works part time that has any advice for us?

Thanks!!!
Miami might not be the best choice. The costs of living are pretty high there, the marina costs are higher, insurance is a problem because you're inside the HURRICANE BOX...

One of my friend's lives aboard a boat and she is an RN. She works six-to-seven months a year and cruises the rest of the time. She's based out of the Carolinas though. This makes much more sense, since the costs of living, marina costs, boat insurance costs and hurricane risks are all much lower that far north. The trip from the Carolinas to the Bahamas and back isn't that bad, provided you plan your weather windows right.

Finding a job that will accommodate that kind of schedule is the real tough part. She managed to find a company, due to her specialized position and skill set, that allows her to do that.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook