SailNet Community - View Single Post - Boat recommendations? (C&C 110, Tartan 37, Sabre 36-2)
View Single Post
post #26 of Old 07-12-2010
Stephen, it seems to me that you have to define the kind of boat that you want.

On this thread fast boats are mixed with slow boats. You can win on compensated time with a slow boat, but you have to decide if you want to sail a fast boat, or you want the best boat to win on compensated time, even if it is a slow boat.

Or perhaps you just want a nice and well built boat like the Sweeden 340, that, as blt2ski says, is rated on the 130 range (the bigger the number, the slower the boat).

For comparaison, the Elan 37 (post 15) when in Swallow Draft version, is rated at 78. That one has a racing keel, so it should be at least as fast as a First 36.7, that rates 72.

There is a huge difference in speed between a Sweden (or other medium height sailboats that rate accordingly) and an Elan or a First. They also don't sail the same way.

I am not saying that one is better than the other, but they are completely different sailboats and I am quite sure you will prefere one over the other, even if I don't know which.

Seriously, you should try to sail a modern fast light weight cruiser-racer, like the first 36.7, the J109 or the Elan 37, and an older medium weight boat like the Sweden, or others that were cited on this thread, and I am quite sure that after that you will know what you really want.

Quote Share with Facebook
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome