SailNet Community - View Single Post - Marine desiring first boat to live on and have a few adventures on the east coast
View Single Post
Old 05-23-2006

cbjwarner is on a distinguished road
Marine desiring first boat to live on and have a few adventures on the east coast

Sailors,

I am an East coast Marine stationed at Camp Lejeune, NC on New River. My marina is about ten miles inland. I am looking to buy my first boat. I plan on slipping at the on-base marina, living on the boat year round, and taking her out on the weekends. I would also like to take a few longer trips to Annapolis, MD and/or Charleston, SC, etc.

I like the idea of going offshore more than staying in the river all the time, although I am sure I will spend plenty of time in the river as I continue to learn the basics of sailing. Other related interests of mine are scuba and occasional fishing.

These are the things I am looking for in a boat:

• I need to be able to finance and I want something used so I don’t loose a third of my money when I sell it in a couple years. Having said that, I am willing to pay up to 50k for a boat that I will enjoy being on and around all the time for the next two years.

• I would rather not have to do a lot of maintenance just to get the thing in the water right at first. However, I will be in an environment where I can continue to learn and tinker a bit as I get to know my boat and enjoy it. I want the freedom of owning a boat that I am not afraid to drill holes in, customize, and make my own.

• Storage space and a functional galley are more important to me than a hot shower and a high class head. I can shower and shave at the marina.

• I want as big a boat as I can reasonably handle solo both 15 miles offshore and in the river.

• I want a boat that can take a little offshore weather for those longer voyages along the coast.

• I also want a decent motor for the bad headwind days when I need to get back up the river before 0600 the next morning.

A Marine who lives on his boat thought I might have a better chance finding a boat in Annapolis than down here. There are not many sailors in NC from what I hear. Is it worth making the road trip?

Semper Fi,
Christopher
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook