SailNet Community - View Single Post - Boat recommendations? (C&C 110, Tartan 37, Sabre 36-2)
View Single Post
Old 07-12-2010

StephenMaturin is on a distinguished road
Patrick O'Brien

It may be best to stick with a faster cruiser than try and get a slower racer. It'd be nice to straddle the line of racer/cruiser, but it doesn't really seem feasible. Even if I were to get a super quick boat, there are always quicker boats. If I bought a Farr, Express, or J, I'd still get passed by the Mumm or Melges, right? So, why try and buy the fastest boat if, by knowing that I want to do a little cruising, I am ruling out the fastest boats? (It freaks me out to think of sailing a boat without a transom, by the way). Besides, I'm not really going to drop a bunch of cash on the latest kevlar/carbon/angel-hair/gossamer/butterfly and fairy dust sails, so I'm not even going to keep up with the guy in the next slip who belongs to the headsail of the month club even if we sail the same boat.

There it is. I've come to accept it. Sad as it is. I'd rather be comfy than fast.

That being said, the next question is which boat sails best to her PHRF (thanks for the PHRF list by the way... its more inclusive than the ones I've found online). I'll reconvene the original list, but knock off the J, Express, etc. I'll also knock off the Bristol and the Tartan.

That'll leave me with:

C&C 110 (which has a PHRF in the 70's, right?)
Sabre 36 (PHRF 120)

Any other suggestions now that I've come to grips with my true self (my true self not being Stephen Maturin of the Patrick O'Brien series)?

Continued thanks...
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook