SailNet Community - View Single Post - I need a rudder that won't drive me crazy
View Single Post
Old 07-13-2010

Daveinet is on a distinguished road
You are partially right, but the vent was open. I checked the motor last night and found the tank was bone dry. I had pulled the gas cap to confirm there was fuel in the tank. This motor is small, and the fuel tank is mounted above the engine. Evidently the odd shape of the fuel tank made it look like there was substantially more fuel in the tank than there was. I'm guessing that there was enough slosh that the fuel supply was intermittent. Since it did run for short stretches at a time, as fuel would trickle in, it consumed what ever small bit was left. Motor is old, but new to me, so I just suspected other problems. The fuel that was in it, had not been used in a few years. I suspected the fuel was dirty and had a momentary clog. Ordinarily I would have drained the tank, but since it ran fine under a previous test, I figured I might as well use up what was in there.

I need to develop a routine, making sure I get all my ducks in a row when I go out. It is a new setup for me, so I just don't have all my thoughts together of everything that is required. 2 items I forgot, extra fuel can and drinking water.

Still wanting to know what to do with the sail next. Should the whole mast just be tilted back, or should just the middle of the mast be pulled aft.
Hobie 14'
Sunfish project boat

Sailing a large boat on a small lake is very tacky.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook