SailNet Community - View Single Post - Had to happen. Duc, overturned Phila PA
View Single Post
Old 07-13-2010

bluwateronly is on a distinguished road
Seems to me that the duc tried everything possible to let everone now what is going on, channel 16,13 and to get there own boat out there. I sail SF bay with lots of ships moving around and my experience is get the frack out of the way. I have have ferries, tugs, tows etc come right at me while I am under sail and I correct couse to affoid but they don't care and come right towards you, I even had them change course to hit me I have had to fire up the deisel to get out of the way many times. I think these guys have been doing this way to long and have an attidude that you need to move not them, no matter what! It takes miles about 3 for a tug to change course on a tanker and forget stopping so I think the mentailaty is move or get hit. The flares and horns could have helped and all passengers should have life vests on at the first sign of trouble and the crew should have been talking to them on what to do. This seems like alot of sea problems with one thing leading to another and then out of control. Please people don't count on the big guys moving for you have your engine ready to go and follow all saftey procautions early and talk to your crew on what to do if sh#t happens, because it does. Okay you got me fired up because, I do deal with this all the time and I like people and don't won't any one to get hurt. My 2 cents worth.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook