SailNet Community - View Single Post - Fin keel and heaving-to
View Single Post
Old 07-13-2010

PierreMundo is on a distinguished road
Here is some info. It's part of the story of :
Atom Voyages | Voyages Aboard the Sailboat Atom - Sailing a Catalina 320 to the Virgin Islands
in a Catalina 320 wing keel

By sunset I was worn out and chilled through. I decided to heave-to, letting her drift where she will as I got some rest to prepare for another day at the wheel. I rolled up the genoa to the size of a storm jib, sheeted it to windward, and locked the wheel a few degrees to leeward. I didnít expect this skittish wing-keeler to heave-to in the manner of a more traditional hull shape, which would fore-reach at 1-2 knots or drift to leeward leaving a protective slick of calmer water to windward. Still, I was unprepared for the surprising result of this experiment. With backed jib in 30 knot southwest winds she sailed off at 5 knots to the southeast. Without a hand on the wheel she held steady all night, galloping away with ease on the same course I hand steered all day with such drudgery. From despair to ecstasy in one sail maneuver! I dropped into my bunk for a few hours of blissful sleep as Mei kept a weary watch from the companionway.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook