SailNet Community - View Single Post - Had to happen. Duc, overturned Phila PA
View Single Post
Old 07-13-2010
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluwateronly View Post
...I think these guys have been doing this way to long and have an attidude that you need to move not them, no matter what! It takes miles about 3 for a tug to change course on a tanker and forget stopping so I think the mentailaty is move or get hit...
Before we all get too upset at these guys for their "attitude," do realize that large vessels with reduced maneuverability have special stand-on status. Sailing vessels do have stand-on status vs. power boats of similar size, but when it comes to the really big guys, they are stand-on and it's the regulation for all pleasure boats - including sailboats - to get out of their way.

I want to see the report from the investigation before getting too hyped up over what went wrong, but one of the reports I heard said that another DUKW boat with passengers passed the vessel in distress, and the captain waved him on because that vessel was fully loaded. Well WHAT ABOUT A TOW? If this guy was in the channel, he should have availed himself of the first possible boat to tow him to shore, even if it inconvenienced the tourists on the other boat. Maybe there's more here than I realize, but it seems that this was a missed opportunity. I'm sure they did not know the barge was coming yet, but one of the key learnings would be to take THE FIRST OPPORTUNITY to get towed out of the shipping lanes, BEFORE the hazard appears.

Obviously this is hindsight - I can only hope that what I learn from this turns hindsight into future foresight.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook