SailNet Community - View Single Post - Crossing Georgia Strait in T22
View Single Post
Old 07-14-2010

AdamLein will become famous soon enough
First off Environment Canada forecasts are not particularly useful. They exaggerate the numbers in moderate conditions (leading you to believe you're in for a brisk sail when it really turns out to be a snooze) and tend to fall behind when predicting gales, as at least four boats that ended up ashore in English Bay yesterday found out. The other forecasters recommended here are good; I also use windfinder.com.

However, the pattern that you described---of light to moderate winds in the morning that build in the afternoon---is a pretty regular pattern, provided no frontal systems are moving in, and that's something you can see coming beforehand. Faster's recommendation of heading to Gibsons is a good one; if you leave around sunrise, you should arrive before the winds are at their strongest. Alternatively you can depart in the late afternoon as the winds are dying (also pretty typical summer pattern), but then if you're not making good time you're likely to end up motoring (though maybe this July will be different).

As for using the T22, I will have to defer to the more experienced folks, but if she's "stable and reliable" I don't see any problems. If she has a ballasted keel and you know how to reef, what's the worst that 25 knots can do?