SailNet Community - View Single Post - New newbie here. Hi!
View Single Post
Old 07-14-2010

ElaS is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to ElaS
New newbie here. Hi!

Ahoy sailors!

I believe was born with a love of sea in my soul. I got really solid sailing start when as a teen in my native Poland. I got a license for unlimited skipper in inland waters and skippered a boat with 2 younger teens on a two week cruise through the lakes systems there (Mazury). As I remember myself then, I haven't been like that for the rest of my life. I was responsible for these 2 kids, and I had confidence, because of that. There was no one else there in the moment. When the weather turned suddenly, we rode our fear hiking out precariously, hanging on to sheets, and singing raunchy song on top of our lungs. I did not panic, nor look to someone else. I had a voice that reached the ears it needed, because it needed no matter how noisy the boat and the wind was. But after that I had other things I had to do, no money for vacations and such frivolities. When I came to US I did some sailing on lakes in a little trailer boat I got, sure, but that was never "it". Oh, how many times I felt I will DIE if I don't get out and sail away, but each time I convinced myself I can't. No money, no experience, no whatever. But really no faith.

I don't believe it is beyond my reach anymore. I am older now, which has its minuses (a bit crunchy in the joints) and pluses (do have some money now and already been planning to retire early). Yes I still have pitifully little sailing experience, but I also have a lot of other experience. I think, how many people started sailing in their 50, how many are still sailing in their 70s (please say "many")

I have already read a ton of wonderful advice on these forums to beginners like me. An encouraging advice. How to make it, not why we can't because we haven't been sailing last 30 years. So thank you everyone.
p.s. I am cramming in all the A.S.A courses and collecting all the stamps and such I can, so yeah, I finally got the egg (from the chicken-and-egg trap I created for myself) rolling. By en*rolling*
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook