SailNet Community - View Single Post - Had to happen. Duc, overturned Phila PA
View Single Post
post #30 of Old 07-14-2010
I'm relying on news reports that may be inaccurate, so take this with a huge grain of salt. But it was reported that the barge was first spotted 1/4 mile away, and was moving 5 knots. Do the simple arithmetic and you'll see that even if they had made immediate contact, they had only 3 minutes warning. I am not sure a barge could turn that fast. Of course there still is the question of whether there was an appropriate watch, and a guy taking the 5th makes this an even bigger question. But I am sure the investigation will address the obvious question of whether it would have been possible for the barge to steer around the DUKW with 3 minutes warning, since the relevance of the appropriate watch hinges on this question.

The DUKW ramp is directly adjacent to the Ben Franklin Bridge, and you can see that they go right into the shipping channel as soon as they clear the piers. There is no way to avoid the channel from the Philadelphia side of the river.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1994 Mason 44 Firefly on loan from my BFF (West River, Galesville, MD)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Quote Share with Facebook
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome