SailNet Community - View Single Post - Non-Marina/Non-Crusing Liveaboard?
View Single Post
Old 07-15-2010
Pearson 303

SVCarolena is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVAuspicious View Post
Eryka - Can you point to an official statement to that effect? I boated out of the Occoquan from 2001 - 2004 without any issues including some long (but not two weeks) time anchored out.

Oh - and +1 on who "owns" the Potomac. No question that it is Maryland. I think the ADC charts show the change in jurisdiction as you come out of the VA tributaries into the river.
I haven't seen any "official statement," but I believe the DC Harbor Police do impose a two-week limit, although enforcement seems iffy. I don't believe the restriction applies outside of the DC jurisdiction - we also anchor out a lot near the Occoquan.

Where were you on teh Occoquan? We are currently keeping our boat at FYC, although we will probably be moving to the bay in the next couple years (just hate to give up the very short ride from DC to the marina).

For the original post on this thread - have you considered that the river can and does freeze, so being anchored out long term with no bubbler system is probably not the greatest idea, not to mention the inability to get to shore in a small boat when the water is frozen.

Last edited by SVCarolena; 07-15-2010 at 04:12 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook