SailNet Community - View Single Post - how tight do you lock it up
View Single Post
Old 07-15-2010

QuickMick is on a distinguished road
how tight do you lock it up

its north texas. its hot. im usually off my boat from 8 or 9ish to 4 or 6ish on weekdays. there are boats much nicer than mine around me, the gate is keyed and there is 24 hour security and i know everyone at the marina (except all the office people...for some reason i dont like the office--they always give me a bill. lol).

when i am gone during hot days i leave all hatches and companionway open and am wondering if im an idiot. some random miscreant launched from a boat ramp could drop by and help himself to laptop, gps, vhfs, stereo, sextant etc etc etc.

even someone who walked through a gate that was left open may opt for the theft of convienience rather than break into a much nicer boat that is secure.

soooo, im wondering how tightly do you all button it up when planning to be gone for a few hours? i guess i kinda think that if someone wants in, they are gonna get in... i could stow all super essential gear in my ditch bag and hump it up and down the hill but thats a pain. lock it up, then she's a cooker when i get home...
thoughts appreciated,
Q

Quinn McColly
Macgregor Venture
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook