SailNet Community - View Single Post - how tight do you lock it up
View Single Post
Old 07-15-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I hope the cops filed charges against the pawn shop... for receiving stolen property.... intentionally altering the serial number in the database is also against the law... and if the pawn shop was willing to do that, they're likely a fence for stolen goods on a regular basis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonie5961 View Post
I kept my old Catalina 22 at Scott's Landing on lake Grapevine when I was younger, I had a nice outboard-probably worth more than the boat-which was stolen off of the stern. It wound up in a local pawn shop. A very nice detective did some real police work to track it down, and I eventually got it back. I had my outboard locked up with a pretty beefy OB lock... but like others have said-and to borrow an old adage from my gramps- Even a lock will only keep the honest thieves out. Don't tempt fate.

In the case of my outboard, the thieves had the pawn shop enter the serial number a few digits off, to throw police off the track. Apparently, pawn shops are required to submit serial #'s in a database to check for stolen merchandise. The great detective handling my case noticed the similar description and slightly altered number and did some foot work. I was so happy, I was really impressed. It's nice to find public servants who still care.

Anyway, my point is- thieves on the area lakes do exist, and they will not hesitate to help themselves to the goods!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook