SailNet Community - View Single Post - Sailnet Members from around the world check-in please.
View Single Post
Old 05-25-2006

Charlie R is on a distinguished road
"GETAWAY" 1986 222 O'Day

Lake Erie's BASS ISLANDS
Western Basin

Going back to my roots in sailing. As a young'n I sailed Lake Erie till my late teens starting with a 12 ft. cat boat (Ray Green - Nipper-) through, comets snipes interlakes lightenings and New England K-cats. It was so easy to go to the boat and turn the key on my Penn Yan Avenger during my working years, but now, retirement gives me the time to slow down and enjoy peace and quiet. Just bought this O'Day because of a recommendation by a sail boater who has been downsizing from the 40 ft size boats. Although I have not wet her keel yet, I will do so soon. Looking forward to spending some time on this forum.

These Islands are not far from Sandusky Ohio known to have a real active sailing group and a huge protected bay for some great sailing.. As a kid our Put In Bay youth sailing group raced Thistle class boats there because of the bay being so perfect for strong wind sailing we could make these molded plywood boats plane and dance on top of the short chop of this famous Sandusky Bay.. The area is home of the famous "clinker built" Lyman Boats. The famous Lyman Cat Boat was and is a prize to behold today.

Last edited by Charlie R; 05-25-2006 at 08:24 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook