SailNet Community - View Single Post - how tight do you lock it up
View Single Post
Old 07-16-2010

Omatako will become famous soon enough
I have three small hatches in my boat, one into each head and one over the galley. They are too small for anyone other than a very small child to get in. Leaving these open along with two Dorades keeps air circulating quite well.

Before we go off cruising I intend to make a stout stainless grid that fits into the wash-board slots so that we can leave that open too.

I find the biggest problem with leaving anything open on deck especially in the tropics is that it can rain torrents within a moments notice and if you're not on board . . . . . .

We met some people in San Diego with a magnificent Passport 47 who were in the islands and were at a pub ashore, left all their deck hatches open to combat the heat because they could see the boat from the restaurant. And then a deluge came and all they could do was sit and watch as their boat got drenched down below.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."

Arthur C. Clarke
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook