SailNet Community - View Single Post - Spring-Assisted Knife - what is your experience ?
View Single Post
Old 07-19-2010

Zanshin is on a distinguished road
The problem with spring-assisted blades is that, no matter how good the blade steel is, the spring itself has to be made of mild steel and will corrode away quickly. Use a quality folder - Benchmade, Spyderco, CRKT (Columbia River Knife & Tool) to mention just a few. All make excellent models which cana be opened ambidextrously single-handed. I like the bare-bones models with aluminum housing and would always recommend a semi-serrated edge for shipboard use. This CRKT knife has served me well - I've used it a lot both in and under the water and find it easy to strip if I forget to WD-40 it after use and I keep the edge sharp with a Lansky sharpening kit I have aboard.

p.s. I used to deal in these and I've met a number of the knife designers and they are, without exception, rather strange people - 25% engineer, 25% metallurgist and 50% artist.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook