SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Galley Sole Replacement

8K views 38 replies 14 participants last post by  JiffyLube 
#1 · (Edited)
Well the mast went back in the boat yesterday as I played rigger, and the yard is nearing completion of all their to do items, so it is now my turn to start putting the interior back together.

Im not going to spend a ton of time doing this at this point but will work on it as time permits, this project has taken a year to long as it is, and Im past ready to go sailing.

But one of the item's on the must do list was to replace the galley sole...So I made a Part 1 video today of a couple hours work in the wood shop.

One of my hobbies is taking wood from standing timber state all the way to furniture...I usually have a stack or three of various species of drying and fully cured wood, sticker stacked in my shop...Im seen using some of that in the video for the galley sole.

I thought Id start things off with my yards theme song..:rolleyes:

#3 · (Edited)
Its a habit...

Not important for the 1/4" strips but very important for gluing together anything of any width...Its not the crown your looking for but the cup direction of the growth rings that you want to stagger..one up the next down the next up..etc.

Not as critical when your gluing to a backer board like I am here, but for a free standing edge glue it will keep the surface from getting too crazy on you...the wider the pieces the greater the chance for future cupping....run all the pieces with the grain the same way and you could end up with a bathtub out of your once flat table top.

#4 ·
So not having the adhesive I want to use, I didn't glue up today but I spent a few minutes tinkering anyway...take a peak.

#6 ·
Damn it Scott. That was good. You are certainly a dab hand in the workshop.

Interestingly enough I thought the Helmsman looked better but I guess the video colours would not be true to life so its hard to tell. All varnishes tend to darken with age though..don't they ?

Looking forward to seeing the old girl out for a sail...shoot, even just floating would be a start. Its been a long hard road. Admirable perseverence on your part.

Cheers me old mateeeee........

#9 · (Edited)
Thanks for all the kind words guys.

Well I finally made it past the building supply center and picked up the adhesive I wanted to use it was even on sale..3.49 + tax...some of you may wonder at my choice and why not go with a marine product...My answer is simple...The construction industry has been around as long as the boat industry and their R&D is just as stringent.

This is not a below water line or topside application..their is absolutely no reason to pay high dollars for a marine sealant here...Sub-floor adhesive or what I chose will do just fine.

FWIW...I pealed off some 30 year old sub-floor adhesive off my glue gun and it is still pliable and tough to break.

Hopefully I am starting to convince some of you with this how to...that this is a doable project for you and doesn't need to take hours and hours to do...A table saw and a few clamps ( you can rent them) is really the only required tools you will need for this, and that can be the 200.00 bench top model as well.

My choice to use my own lumber necessitated the planner but buying dimensional lumber removes that requirement... I also just ran wild the boards off the sub-base and will trim with a router after sanding, this is my lazy and fast way of doing it but you could just as well cut everything perfect to fit as you go.

Believe me it has taken longer to put together and edit these video's then this project has taken.

Up next sanding, trimming and and finish.

#11 ·
Really nicely done SR...

#12 ·
Just curious, why did you pick Madrona and Cherry?

#15 · (Edited)
Trying to keep my head above water... Soccer tourniments, running the teams web site and having a litter of puppies has gotten in the way latly, but I managed a couple hours in the shop yesterday.

In answer as to why I chose Madrona and cherry, the simple answere is... I had it.
From past experiences I knew their color retention qualties would give me a very close aproximation of teak and holly, the only reservation I had at all is madrona is not a very stable wood compared to teak. This is also why I chose to go with an epoxy finish to lock it down as best as posibal.

Any hoo have a look see.....

I let sanding dust in the shop settel overnight and I will finish it today if nothing drages me away.

Reactions: GraemeInCanada
#17 · (Edited)
Well first off I want to apologise for not getting shots of the first coat going on...I thought the camera was on, but it was on pause...Bummer!...so you missed out on the coolest part of wood working for me, which is watching the awesome spectacle of transformation from raw wood, come to life with the depth and luster of an applied finish right before your eyes.

Any way It turned out as expected, so I am very pleased...This will be a vast improvement over original and match the rest of the boat's sole very well.

Thanks for watching all these videos.... and stay tuned for the last one, which will be the install into the boat.

#18 ·
Just found this after seeing it mentioned in another thread. Way to go Scott! Looks great and I got to see a few tools that are going on the wish list. Thanks for taking the time to document this project. I thought the use of the clock as a reference in the video was great.

#20 ·
Oh they are great vids, thats for sure. What amazes me most is how neat and tidy the bugger remains. I only need to look at a glue gun or a paint brush to end up vaguely resembling PigPen from the old Peanuts comic strip.

#22 ·
if you have the machinery/knowledge to saw the lumber from trees/logs why didn't you quarter saw it and eliminated the cupping problem altogether,no need to alternate the boards,also cherry rots very quickly,there would have been better varieties,having said that i am impressed

#23 ·
Good question:
Quarter sawing is a HUGE waste of wood and very time consuming.

You actually end up with several quarter sawn pieces ( radial grain ) sawing in the plain saw method per log anyway, which gives you primarily tangential grain.. ..so you could always pick to use only those pieces if desired.

I was asked why I alternated "Crowns" I went on to explain what I was actually doing and why...and also why it probably wasn't important in this case any way.

But you are 100% correct that would and does cure 99% of the issue with cupping.

I don't as of yet own my own saw mill...my neighbor does...Its all I can do to get him to cut for me about once a year let alone get real demanding about it..;)

Smacky.....Good-on-ya......................Im a 6 footer...:laugher

#25 · (Edited)
The yard finally got the engine enclosure buttoned up enough for me to install the galley sole.

So here it is....

A vast improvement over the linoleum...:) Total cost of new Galley sole less then 20 bucks..:D

Please excuse the rest of the boat...its been through heck....but I'll bring her back in time....

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.