SailNet Community - View Single Post - Marine desiring first boat to live on and have a few adventures on the east coast
View Single Post
Old 05-25-2006

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
A few quick points,
  • In your current sailing venue i would try to limit your maximum draft to 5'-6" with 5 feet or less being quite convenient.
  • In the soft mud of South Carolina I would avoid a wing keel.
  • With the rapid currents I would try to find a boat with a reasonable turn of speed or you will spend your life motoring.
  • If you plan to single-hand offshore I would look look for a boat with a displacement that is in the range of 5,500 to 11,000 lbs with the upper end of the range being better than the lower since you visualize long legs.
  • Since your dockage is cheap where you are, and you plan to go offshore, I would look for a boat that has a comparatively long waterline length and comparatively short ends, even of that means that you end up with a 35 or even 38 footer.
  • Given that you prefer taking longer offshore legs, I would suggest that you try to find something a little more robust than a Catalina.
Good luck,
Jeff
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook