SailNet Community - View Single Post - Figuring out a backstay adjuster on a C&C Mk2
View Single Post
Old 07-20-2010

SebastienL is on a distinguished road
On the boat, there isn't really anything else that we can't see from the picture of the transom. As for the blocks, I do have a few of them left by the previous owner but none are identified specifically as for the backstay. I'll take a shot of everything I have still loose over next weekend (the boat is 1h30 away ) and add it here.

From memory, I believe I have all the blocks needed to rig the 4:1 split backstay (see diagram here), except no attachment point in the middle and the lines would make standing at the helm very uncomfortable. The 8:1 split backstay (same diagram) seems more plausible but again I really can't see any attachment point between the two split backstay. This arrangement also resembles what is seen on the low res photo taken from yachtworld (see link on first post).

Another photo (here) I've just found seems to suggest a pair of small eye straps fixed to the teck rail. Would that really be sufficient? What would be the load on such attachments? Breaking strength of the backstay is 8,200 lbs according to the manual.