SailNet Community - View Single Post - Stay out of Georgia
View Single Post
Old 07-20-2010

PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by SameBoat View Post
Georgia has many beautiful anchorages and historical areas. We anchored off St. Marys - a beautiful town with nice people. Then the state DNR came by and told us that as liveaboards we could only remain in the state for 30 days per calendar year. We felt like trolls living under a bridge somewhere! So we were kicked out of the state. Plan accordingly.
While I don't doubt it was an unplesant experience, I don't think that's exactly what they told you. In this country they can't throw anyone out of a State, no matter how much the person might deserve it. What States can do, is make you WISH you had left. I believe what you were told was that if you stayed more than 30 days, you'd be considered a resident and subject to the same taxes as every other resident. They weren't throwing you out, they were giving you friendly advice.

These are the same laws you'd face if you rented an apartment, pitched a tent, or set up your RV for more than 30 days so they don't discriminate against boaters, this just happens to be a boating forum. Go to aviation forums and find out about the rude suprises airplane owners have had sprung on them for taking an airplane into a State for more that 30 days.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook