SailNet Community - View Single Post - 1974 pearson 30
Thread: 1974 pearson 30
View Single Post
Old 07-20-2010

CLucas is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to CLucas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_H View Post
I have always liked these boats. They sail well and are generally well mannered. A couple issues that I have heard of over the years on some of these are problems with the 'scimitar' type rudder. This places a lot of strain on the rudder post to rudder connection and water can get in and cause problems over time with the stainless steel frame of the rudder. There were apparently two different types of internal frames on the P-30 rudder, the later ones having an aluminum framework instead of stainless steel. These were not as good in terms of durability.

The one that I knew best had gate valves that ultimately had to be changed out to marine grade seacocks.

The Pearson 30's had an outward facing flange type hull to deck joint. I have never been a big fan of this type of joint being inherently the weakest and most vulnerable of the choices. From what I gather, the P-30's have not had the kinds of problems of boats like the Catalina 27 but the one that I raced on did leak back by the quarter berth when heeled hard.

I can't recall whether the P-30 has a bolt on keel like its smaller sister of that era, the P-26, but at least in the case of the P-26 the keel bolts and and internal structure has not stood up all that well over time and has typically needed remedial repairs. I would carefully check the keel to hull hull joint if it is a bolt on, or the encapsulation if its not.

Jeff
Good catch on the gate valves -- forgot about that... Gate valves are a big no-no for thru hulls on any boat and they should be switched to either a traditional tapered plug seacock or a ball valve. Grey Goose still had a gate valve at the raw water intake and I had it changed right away. Also, I *believe* the original scuppers had tubes glassed directly to the thru hulls. While above the water line, they were vulnerable to cracking from the hull flexing and causing a umm... major problem. Mine were switched out for traditional tapered-plug seacocks and reinforced rubber hose prior to my taking ownership.
1977 Pearson 30 #995
~~~~~~_/) ~~~~~~
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook