SailNet Community - View Single Post - Furling line fairleads vs. blocks
View Single Post
Old 07-20-2010

knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by cghubbell View Post
I'm looking into running my furling line outboard of the stanchions to improve the safety of my somewhat narrow side decks. It appears that there are two flavors of line leads: simple bullseye fairleads and those with blocks (pulleys).

Are there any guidelines as to when you need to move from fairleads to blocks? I would assume blocks are necessary at the first stanchion and last due to the line's direction changes, so I'm just talking about the middle three stanchions.

In my case, I have a 27' boat with a 150% genoa. Would the tension be low enough that I can get away with the less expensive and lower profile fairleads? I'm thinking yes, but hoping someone has practical experience to back up my guessing.

Thanks in advance,
Chris

You pretty much have the right idea Chris. Where the line is deflected to any significant degree, you will be better off with a block than a fairlead. The first block aft of the drum should be able to articulate and should be positioned 90 degrees from the center of the drum and the after most block should also articulate.
As the line goes aft along the stanchions, there is not much change in direction so fairleads should be fine.
You might also consider making the last block a rachet in order to keep a little tension on the line as it pays out.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook