SailNet Community - View Single Post - How thick does a hull need be? Or is more glass always better?
View Single Post
Old 07-20-2010

sailingbud is on a distinguished road
finishing to original

The more I have inspected this hull the more I believe it could use another layer of glass to bring her to the original thickness. It appears that more glass has been taken off. Looking at the layers, you see the top layer gelcoat then a layer below which has the same color and mat in the layer then below that no color. In the no color layer there are still some blisters and if I completly remove them it will penetrate deeply into the hull. As an alternative to taking so much out, I am going to fill all blisters with thickened epoxy and rough fair all surfaces. Then I will lay one layer of 1708 with epoxy resin and fair again then I will paint with epoxy paint, I am told I have enough for 6 coats below the water line then I will use epoxy paint over the entire hull probably 2 coats then bootstripe and bottom coat with anti-fouling.
That is my plan as soon as I get a couple of thru-hulls filled that I don't want.
I'll be building a new rudder so there aren't any more appendages to hole water.
I could use some temperatures in the 80s, we have hit the dog days (95+ in the shade with too much humidity to evaporate), I don't think I can spread epoxy fast enough in this heat. I'm concentrating on getting good patches set in during these hot weeks.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook